Straightening your thick, coarse hair is a difficult task to do. And it gets even more irritating when you have to do it on a daily basis, especially during hot summer days. So, to save your time and energy, you can go for hair straightening treatments. Hair relaxer and keratin treatment by hairstylist are those treatments.
But it is hard for one to distinguish between these two treatments. And you need to consult your hairstylist for all the right information. Well, if you want to know a primary difference between these two and to determine which one is right for your hair type, keep reading to find out.
Hair relaxer is basically a chemical-based hair treatment that smoothens your kinky hair and makes them straight. A salon stylist would recommend this treatment to you if you’ve got coarse or kinky hair. So, it actually reduces the frizz in your hair and does not make your hair dead straight. That’s why it is more long-lasting.
Usually, a good hair relaxer lasts from 6-8 weeks. And depending on your hair type, it can take 1-2 hours in the whole hair relaxing procedure. During the process, the hair relaxer alters the protein structure of your hair. Thus, changing the overall texture of your hair.
The overall procedure consists of the following steps:
- Firstly, petroleum jelly is applied to the bare scalp to save it from chemical burns.
- As the ends of your hair take more time to process, they get a chemical relaxer applied on them first and then on up to the roots.
- After almost 15 minutes, you get your hair washed with warm water.
- Then, to balance the pH of your hair, a conditioner is applied.
- After that, a neutralizing shampoo is used that is followed by the moisturizing treatment.
Note: Hair relaxer treatment only lasts for 6-8 weeks. After that, you need to get a re-touch if you want silky and frizz free hair. But keep in mind that a hair relaxer is only applied at the roots for a re-touch.
There are a few measures that you need to take after hair relaxer treatment, such as:
- Deep conditioning your hair every once a week
- Use sulfate-free shampoo
- Maintain moisture balance of your hair
- Avoid using straighteners, curlers, or any heat products
- Trim the ends of your hair whenever needed
Keratin treatment is a semi-permanent hair straightening procedure. It involves restoring the keratin in your hair and making your hair more healthy, smooth, and strong. It is recommended for curly and frizzy hair types. And in general, keratin treatment works for all hair types and textures.
Overall, it takes 2-4 hours for the complete Brazilian keratin treatment. Also, it depends upon the formula used by your hairstylist, the hair type, and the texture. And as it is not permanent, the effects can fade away in 5-6 months. It can last for long as well, depending upon the type of hair products you use and precautions you take.
Keratin Treatment Procedure
First of all, you need to keep in mind that this treatment is not recommended for pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and not people with respiratory disorders.
The following steps are followed during the procedure:
- Thorough washing of your hair is the preparation step before the treatment
- Then, your hair either left wet or blow-dried
- Next, a solution of hydrolyzed keratin is applied to the hair cuticles
- It is left there for 20-30 minutes
- Lastly, your hairstylist will blow dry and iron your hair to reseal the keratin
You need to take the following steps to last the smoothness in your hair for a long.
- Strictly avoid tying up your hair for 72 hours after keratin treatment. You can’t even pull your hair at the back of your ear for 72 hours, neither can you wash them
- To make your treatment effects last longer, try using products that contain keratin, biotin, and zinc
- Use sulfate-free shampoo, and avoid chlorine water for washing your hair
The Cost Difference Between Both Hair Straightening Treatments
Hair relaxer will cost you up to 200$, and keratin treatment will cost you $200-$800. Decide according to your hair type, budget, and the hair straightening salon Rockville you choose.
leave a reply